Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month (AAPI Heritage Month) is an annual celebration that recognizes the historical and cultural contributions of individuals and groups of Asian and Pacific Islander descent to the United States. The AAPI umbrella term includes cultures from the entire Asian continent—including East, Southeast and South Asia—and the Pacific Islands of Melanesia, Micronesia and Polynesia. As of 2019, there were about 22.9 million people of Asian or Pacific Islander descent in the United States." - The History Channel
All Library materials and eResources are available free with your Library card. If you don't have a Library card with us yet, find out how to sign up for a Library Card or eCard
- Library Programs
- Saturday Crafternoon: Japanese Ogi Fan - Expand your knowledge of Japanese culture by learning the history of fan-making while creating your own, in celebration of Asian American-Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Supplies provided.
- Saturday Cratfernoon: History of Hawaiian Lei Making - Learn the origins of how the Lei came to Hawaii while making your own lei in celebration of Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Supplies Provided.
- Youth Library Programs
- Baby & Me - Hug your little one while sharing this special first-time experience. This storytime introduces books with play time and repetitive music. Age: Birth-18 months.
- Rhythm, Rhyme, & Storytime - Sing, swing, and sway through this program dedicated to music and movement! Finger plays, rhythm movement, and dancing create the perfect opportunity for fun-filled learning as you watch your child develop their vocabulary, counting skills, creative thinking, and listening skills. Ages 2 - 5 years old. This themed storytime will be in celebration of Asian American-Pacific Islander Heritage Month.
- I am Golden Author Event - Celebrate Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month by exploring a beautiful story, I am Golden by Eva Chen, through crafts and activities and even a VIRTUAL visit by the author herself!
- On Our Shelves
- Government Resources
- A Proclamation on Asian American, Native Hawaiian, And Pacific Islander Heritage Month - The White House
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Month - The Library of Congress, National Archives and Records Administration, National Endowment for the Humanities, National Gallery of Art, National Park Service, Smithsonian Institution and United States Holocaust Memorial Museum join in paying tribute to the generations of Asian and Pacific Islanders who have enriched America's history and are instrumental in its future success.
- US Census - Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month Fun Facts
- Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center
- Additional Online Resources